DemDaily: Update On The Insurrection: The Subpoena List
December 17, 2021
Yesterday, the US House issued its latest of nearly 50 subpoenas that have been served over the last three months as a part of its investigation into the Capitol insurrection and the key players involved in efforts to stop the counting of the electoral votes on January 6, 2021.
The House Select Committee to Investigate the January 6th Attack on the United States Capitol has now interviewed over 300 people, including those in the immediate sphere of former President Trump leading up to, and during the attack, issuing subpoenas to those reluctant to cooperate.
Two witnesses, former Trump advisor Steve Bannon and former White House Chief of Staff Mark Meadows, have been held in criminal contempt of Congress for refusing to testify to the Committee.
On Tuesday, December 14th, the House voted 222–208 to find Meadows in criminal contempt of Congress, referring the matter to the Justice Department. It makes Meadows, who represented North Carolina for four terms in Congress, the first former member of Congress in history to earn such a condemnation.
Although Meadows, who many believe is central to the investigation, originally cooperated with the Committee, turning over 9,000 pages of documents. He recently reversed his stance, however, saying he "remains under the instruction of former President Trump" not to comply.
On October 21st, Steve Bannon, was held in Contempt of Congress for refusing to company with a subpoena, which he said was on the orders of Trump, who claimed Bannon had executive privilege. On November 12th, Bannon was indicted by a federal grand jury on two counts of contempt of Congress brought against him by the Justice Department.
The Witnesses: The Subpoena List
Top White House Officials and Trump Advisers
* Mark Meadows, former White House Chief of Staff
* Daniel Scavino, former White House Deputy Chief of Staff for Communications
* Kashyap Patel, former Defense Department official and former House Intelligence Committee aide
* Steve Bannon, former Trump Advisor
On November 9th, DC District Court Judge Tanya Chutkan denied Trump's request to stop the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) from releasing documents saying, "[Trump's] position that he may override the express will of the executive branch appears to be premised on the notion that his executive power 'exists in perpetuity.' President's are not kings and plaintiff s not President." On December 9th, the DC Circuit Court of Appeals upheld Chutkan's ruling but gave Trump 14 days to appeal to the U.S. Supreme Court.
Former Trump Administration and Campaign Officials
* Michael Flynn, former National Security Adviser
* John Eastman, Trump Attorney
* Jason Miller, former Trump Spokesman & Senior Campaign Advisor
* Bill Stepien, former Trump Campaign Manager
* Bernard Kerik, felon and former New York Police Commissioner
* Angela McCallum, former Trump Campaign Aide
* Nicholas Luna, former Presidential Personal Assistant
* Molly Michael, former Special Assistant to the President and Oval Office Operations Coordinator
* Ben Williamson, former Deputy Assistant to the President and Senior Advisor to Chief of Staff Mark Meadows
* Christopher Liddell, former White House Deputy Chief of Staff
* John McEntee, former White House Personnel Director
* Keith Kellogg, former Vice President Mike Pence National Security Advisor
* Kayleigh McEnamy, former White House Press Secretary
* Stephen Miller, former Senior Adviser to the President
* Cassidy Hutchinson, former Special Assistant to the President for Legislative Affairs
* Kenneth Klukowski, former Senior Counsel to Assistant Attorney General Jeffrey Clark
DOJ: Former Assistant Attorney General Jeffrey Clark, reportedly involved in efforts to overturn the 2020 election.
January 6 "Stop The Steal" Events and Rallies Organizers
* Katrina Pierson, former Trump Campaign Spokeswoman and Event Organizer
* Amy Kremer, Co-Founder and Chair of Women for America First
* Kylie Kremer, Co-Founder and Executive Director of Women for America First ("WFAF")
* Cynthia Chafian, founder of the Eighty Percent Coalition
* Caroline Wren, Rally "VIP Advisor"
* Maggie Mulvaney, Rally "VIP Lead"
* Justin Caporale, Event Strategies, Inc., Rally Project Manager
* Tim Unes, Event Strategies, Inc., Rally Stage Manager
* Megan Powers, MPowers Consulting LLC, Operations Manager for Scheduling and Guidance
* Hannah Salem, Salem Strategies LLC, Operations Manager for Logistics and Communications
* Lyndon Brentnall, RMS Protective Services, On-Site Supervisor
* Ali Alexander, Permit applications process, "Stop the Steal" rally
* Nathan Martin, Permit applications process, "Stop the Steal" rally
* Stop the Steal, LLC
* Dustin Stockton, key player in the "Stop The Steal" movement and January 6th rally organizer.
* Jennifer Lawrence, key player in the "Stop The Steal" movement and January 6th rally organizer. Married to Lawrence.
* Taylor Budowich, current Trump political spokesperson and Communications Director for his Save America PAC. She organized the social media and advertising campaign for the rally.
* Alex Jones, conspiracy theorist who helped raise the funds for the January 6th rally.
* Roger Stone, longtime Trump ally and GOP operative, who helped plan and raise funds for the January 6th rally. Stone, originally slated to speak at the rally, previously said he planned to "lead a march to the Capitol" that day.
Today, Trump advisor Roger Stone appeared before the House January 6th Committee, where he said he invoked his Fifth Amendment right against self-incrimination in response to every question asked of him.
Groups and Individuals Linked to the January 6th Insurrection
* Proud Boys International, L.L.C, a right-wing extremist group which called for violence leading up to January 6th. At least 34 individuals affiliated with the Proud Boys have been indicted for their involvement in the attack.
* Henry "Enrique" Tarrio, Chairman of the Proud Boys organization, who was allegedly involved in the preparation the Proud Boys did leading up to the events at the Capitol.
* Oath Keepers, another right-wing extremist group. 18 of their members have been indicted by a federal grand jury for their role in the attack.
* Elmer Stewart Rhodes, President of the Oath Keepers who repeatedly advocated for violence to ensure that Trump remain president, and who was in contact with his members throughout the attack.
* 1st Amendment Praetorian/Robert Patrick Lewis, whose organization provided security at multiple rallies leading up to January 6th that sought to protest the 2020 presidential election results and advocated violence.
The subpoena issued yesterday was to James “Phil” Waldron, a retired Army colonel and purported author of a 38-page PowerPoint slideshow titled “Election Fraud, Foreign Interference & Options for 6 JAN,” which was used to brief Members of Congress, and was filled with extreme plans on how to overturn the election.
The document recommended that Trump declare a national emergency to delay the certification of the election, and claimed that China and Venezuela had obtained control over the voting infrastructure in a majority of states.
DemList will keep you informed.
DemDaily: Update On The Insurrection: The Subpoena List 11/11/21
DemDaily: Update On The Insurrection 10/22/21
DemDaily: The Capitol Attack: Following The Facts 7/28/21
DemDaily: The Capitol Attack: Aftermath and Accountability 7/20/21
DemDaily: The Capitol Attack: Aftermath and Accountability 5/20/21
DemDaily: Hypocracy and History 2/14/21
DemDaily: Impeachment. The Defense: Day Four 2/12/21
DemDaily: Impeachment: Conquering Tyranny. Day Three 2/11/21
DemDaily: Impeachment: Inside The Insurrection: Day Two 2/10/21
DemDaily: Impeachment: The Prosecution: Day One 2/9/21
Connecting You to The Party
Connecting You to Each Other
Sources: US Congress, House Select Committee, CNN, Washington Post, Reuters