DemDaily: Campaign and Calendar Countdown!
October 2, 2018
For our followers - a quick review for your reference in the final stretch!
2018 Campaign Stats
Good News on Gains
Since Donald Trump was elected, Democrats have flipped:
* 43 State Legislative seats
* One Governor's seat by electing Phil Murphy (New Jersey/2017)
* One US House seat by electing Conor Lamb (Pennsylvania/2018 Special)
* One US Senate seat by electing Doug Jones (Alabama/2018 Special)
* There are 25 Congressional Districts that Hillary Clinton won that are currently held by Republicans
* There are 119 Republican-held Districts that are more competitive than the CD Conor Lamb won in March
* Democrats need to flip 23 seats to win back the House in November
* Republicans are defending 42 open or vacant seats, a record since 1930
Related: DemDaily: House Races & Ratings: The List 9/6/18
There are 35 Senate seats up for election in 2018:
* 24 Democratic, 9 Republican, 2 IndependentUS Senate
There are 36 Governors' races up in 2018:
* Republicans are defending 26 seats
* Democrats are defending 9 seats
Related: DemDaily: Who Governs? 10/1/18
There are 87 State Senate & State House Chambers up in 2018:
Democrats are 17 seats away from flipping 8 Chambers:
* 1 seat away in Colorado, Maine, Minnesota and New York state Senates
* 2 seats away in the Wisconsin State Senate
* 3 seats away in Arizona and New Hampshire state Senates
* 5 seats away from flipping the Florida state Senate
Related: DemDaily: Staking The States 9/26/18
If you appreciate the Daily factual briefings, concise updates and trusted rundown on the politics and players, please say thank you with a contribution of $25, $50, $100 or more today.
Early Voting Has Begun in Illinois, Iowa, Maine, Minnesota, New Jersey, South Dakota, Vermont and Wyoming!
DemList will keep you informed.
Connecting you to The Party
Connecting you to Each Other
SignUp to receive the Daily Column in your Inbox!
Sources: DNC, NCSL, Bannon Research, Ballotpedia