DemDaily: 2024 Presidential Primary Calendar. The Updates!

May 1, 2024

We are now in the final stretch of the 2024 primary season, with less than four months until the August 19–22 Democratic Convention in Chicago, Illinois, and 188 days from the November 5 election when Americans will reelect President Joe Biden and Vice President Kamala Harris for a second term!

The 2024 primary season began with the January 15 Iowa Caucus and ends with Democratic caucuses in Guam and US Virgin Islands June 8. Biden and former President Donald Trump surpassed the delegate thresholds necessary to secure their respective nominations following the March 5 Super Tuesday primaries. The general election campaign starts after the official nomination of both at their conventions this summer.

APRIL saw three state presidential contests. Joe Biden secured 96% of the vote in the April 13 Wyoming Democratic Presidential Caucus, while Wyoming Republicans awarded their winner-take-all delegates.to Trump at their April 20 State Convention.

Trump and Biden easily won their respective April 21 and April 28 Puerto Rico presidential primaries. as well as the April 23 Pennsylvania Republican and Democratic primaries.

In the critical battleground state, Biden won 88% of Pennsylvania primary voters, with the remaining 12% split between former challenger Dean Phillips and write-ins. Trump secured 83.4% of the vote, with the remaining 16.6% going to former primary opponent Nikki Haley who dropped out March 6. Haley has not endorsed Trump and he has done little to court her support or that of her voters.

The clear protest vote of more than 155,000 registered Republicans in a state that could sway the outcome of the race for the White House is good news for Democrats.

THE 2024 PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION CALENDAR

MAY 2024
May 1: New Mexico Republican State Convention
May 4: Missouri State Republican Convention
May 7: Indiana Democratic and Republican Primaries

May 14: Maryland, Nebraska, and West Virginia
Democratic and Republican Primaries

May 21: Kentucky and Oregon Democratic and Republican Presidential Primaries
May 23: Idaho Democratic Presidential Caucus

May 24–26: Libertarian National Convention, Washington, DC

JUNE 2024
June 4
: District of Columbia Democratic Presidential Primary
June 4: New Jersey Democratic and Republican Presidential Primaries
June 4: New Mexico Democratic and Republican Primaries
June 4: Montana Democratic and Republican Presidential Primaries
June 4: South Dakota Democratic and Republican Presidential Primaries

June 8: Guam Democratic Presidential Caucus
June 8: US Virgin Islands Democratic Caucus

JULY 2024
July 11-14: Green Party Presidential Nominating Convention, Virtual

July 15–18: Republican National Convention, Milwaukee, Wisconsin

AUGUST 2024
August 19–22: Democratic National Convention, Chicago, Illinois

Democratic and Republican primaries or caucuses have been held in Alabama, Alaska, American Samoa, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Illinois, Iowa, Kansas, Louisiana, Maine, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Nevada, New Hampshire, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Northern Mariana Islands, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Puerto Rico, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, Wisconsin and Wyoming, along with Democrats Abroad’s global primary. Republicans have also held primaries in Guam, Idaho, DC, and the US Virgin Islands.

SEPTEMBER 2024
September 16
: First General Election Presidential Debate
San Marcos, Texas. Texas State University (TBC)

September 25: Vice Presidential Debate
Easton, Pennsylvania. Lafayette College

OCTOBER 2024
October 1
: Second General Election Presidential Debate
Petersburg, Virginia. Virginia State University (TBC)

October 9: Third General Election Presidential Debate
Salt Lake City, Utah. University of Utah (TBC)

NOVEMBER 2024
November 5: Election Day

DECEMBER 2024
December 11: "Safe Harbor" Deadline (at least six days prior to the first Monday after the second Wednesday in December) under the Electoral Count Act, when states must finally resolve any controversies over the selection of their electors of the Electoral College.

December 17: State Electors Meet (the first Monday after the second Wednesday in December), in their respective state capitals and the District of Columbia to formally vote for President and Vice President.

JANUARY 2025
January 6: Electoral votes are formally counted before a joint session of Congress; the President of the Senate officially announces the electoral result.

January 20: Inauguration Day!

DemList will keep you informed.

DemList
Connecting You to The Party
Connecting You to Each Other

Kimberly Scott
Publisher

Please Support DemList

SignUp for the Daily updates on policy, politics and the players.
Follow DemList on FacebookTwitter and LinkedIn

Pass It On!

Related posts

DemDaily: Labor’s Day

DemDaily: Labor’s Day

September 6, 2021 For most people Labor Day weekend signals the unofficial end of summer, the last trip to the beach or the beginning of the school year. It is important to be reminded, however...

DemDaily: Trump’s Speaker Prevails

DemDaily: Trump’s Speaker Prevails

October 25, 2023 Republicans ended their three-week stranglehold on the US House of Representatives today with the election of Louisiana Congressman Mike Johnson as Speaker, their fourth nominee...